Why cannot we accept ourselves exactly the way we are?





(ESPAÑOL ABAJO)


Why cannot we accept ourselves exactly the way we are? 
Because we have learned that undesirable behaviors shouldn’t be condoned because they will be perpetuated.
We have mostly been raised hearing: Don’t. Stop. You should. You should not. And in most of the cases, not with the sweetest tone of voice. That is the way we learned; it kept us safe and behaving how our caregivers wanted us to behave eventually. But if this way of correcting us was not done in a conscious and balanced way, meaning that you were also approved for what you did well, you will have developed a harsh inner critic that is pointing out your flaws and faults to keep you safe. I was certainly one of these people.
How did I reverse this toxic way of treating and seeing myself? Well, that is the story of my life. I will now share something I spontaneously came up with years ago when I felt very upset, frustrated and unhappy with myself. I was so fed up with struggling and hating myself that I decided to give in and embrace who I thought I was and accept all the things I didn’t like about myself.

I wrote:
“I accept this moment. I accept that I feel like crap. I accept myself exactly as I am, without conditions. With my deficiencies, fears, insecurities, defects, traumas, rage, resentment, anguish, emptiness, indecision, with all my negativity and unresolved shit. I accept my hysteria, my weaknesses, my fear of poverty, my mistakes, my screwed up things, my disabilities, my laziness, my blockages, my victim role, my guilt complex, my not knowing how to be a good mother or a good anything. I accept myself tonight with everything I don't like about myself or is not useful. I accept myself and do not try to change anything. I leave it as it is. It doesn't matter. I'm fine. This is how I am, how I was born, how life has sculpted me. This is me and no other. This and no other. *I accept myself and I hope that everyone will accept me as well. Amen.”

*In this text, I still hoped to be accepted by everyone, but seeing it now, I know that that will never be possible. I recommend that you settle for accepting yourself, which is already a lot and it is enough.
If you now or ever feel like I once felt, give it a try. It’s L-I-B-E-R-A-T-I-N-G!
I have followed Louise Hay's practice of using the affirmation: I approve of myself, for years. Self-acceptance is key for building a healthy self-image and self-esteem. Yes, deprogramming takes time and commitment but all you do in this regard will bring the shift you are looking for and one day you too, will be inspiring others to wake up from the spell that kept us thinking we were defective and unworthy.

(ESPAÑOL)


¿POR QUE NO PODEMOS ACEPTARNOS EXACTAMENTE COMO SOMOS?



Porque hemos aprendido que los comportamientos indeseables no deben ser tolerados porque se perpetuarán.
Hemos crecido escuchando: Asi no. Deja. Para. Cállate. No sabes. No debes. Y no con el tono de voz más dulce en la mayoría de los casos. Así es como aprendimos eventualmente a comportamos como nuestros padres y encargados de nuestra crianza, querían y a mantenernos fuera de peligro. Pero si esta forma de corregirnos no se realizó de manera consciente y equilibrada, lo que significa que también fuimos aprobados por lo que hicimos bien, es probable que hayas desarrollado un(a) crítico(a) interna feroz que está siempre listo(a) a señalar tus defectos y fallas para mantenerte “ a salvo” . Ciertamente yo fui una de estas personas.
¿Cómo revertí esta forma tóxica de tratarme y verme a mí misma? Esa es la historia de mi vida. Ahora sólo compartiré algo que se me ocurrio hacer hace años cuando me sentí muy molesta, frustrada e insatisfecha conmigo misma. Estaba tan harta de tratar de cambiar sin mucho exito y odiarme a mí misma, que decidí rendirme y abrazar a quién creía que era en ese momento y aceptar todas las cosas que no me gustaban de mí.

Escribí:
“Acepto este momento. Acepto que me siento hasta las huevas. Me acepto exactamente como soy sin condiciones. Con mis defectos, carencias, miedos , inseguridades, taras, traumas, rabias, rencores, angustias, vacios, no saberes, con toda mi carga negativa y vainas irresueltas. Acepto mi histeria, mis debilidades, mi miedo a la pobreza, mis errores, cosas jodidas, mis incapacidades, mi flojera, mis bloqueos, mis papeles de víctima, mi complejo de culpa, mi no saber como ser una buena madre o una buena todo. Me acepto esta noche con todo lo que no me gusta de mi o no es útil. Me acepto y no trato de cambiar nada. Lo dejo así como está. No importa. Así estoy bien. Así soy yo, estoy yo, nací yo, me esculpió la vida. Esta soy yo y no otra. Esta y no otra. Esta y no otra. *Me acepto y espero que así me acepten también todos. Amen.”

*En este texto, todavía esperaba ser aceptada por todos, pero al verlo ahora, sé que eso nunca será posible. Recomiendo que te conformes con aceptarte a tí mismo/a, que ya es mucho y es suficiente.
Si ahora o alguna vez te sientes como yo me sentí, pruébalo.
¡Es L-I-B-E-R-A-D-O-R!
He seguido también la práctica de Louise Hay de usar la afirmación: Me apruebo, repetida hasta el infinito. La auto-aceptación es clave para construir una auto-imagen y una autoestima saludables. Sí, la desprogramación requiere tiempo y compromiso, pero todo lo que hagas al respecto traerá el cambio que estás buscando y algún día tú también inspirarás a otros a soltar la creencia que nos mantuvo pensando que éramos defectuosos e indignos de la vida que soñabamos.

Popular Posts